We’re Hiring a Communications Manager!
Do you love telling stories about this incredible landscape and our access to it? The Communications Manager is the voice of GVLT and develops and distributes content about trails and conservation to our community.
The full job announcement and application instructions are below. Questions? Reach out to EJ Porth, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Title: Communications Manager
Location: Bozeman, MT
Reports to: Associate Director
Status: Permanent/ Full-time
Salary: $68,000-$75,000 DOE, with generous benefits package (see below)
Apply by: Open until filled; review of applications will begin on June 30, 2023
Projected Start: August 2023
Summary of Position
The Communications Manager compiles and shares compelling stories about GVLT, complex issues in conservation and recreation, and donor impact with our community. Supported by a strong, reputable brand, and a collaborative team, the Communications Manager preserves GVLT’s trusted voice and galvanizes the community around the value of trails and open land. In alignment with GVLT’s 5-year strategic plan, the Communications Manager will develop and execute an annual communications plan. They will lead content development and execution for all of GVLT’s communications channels including website, email marketing, social media, print materials, and earned media. The Communications Manager works closely with all members of the organization to share project updates, stories, events, news and development opportunities. The ideal candidate is a strong writer with experience communicating about recreation and conservation topics. They will possess a working knowledge of the Gallatin Valley community, nonprofit and donor centric communications best practices, and digital marketing strategies.
Communications Strategy and Planning (15%):
- Using GVLT’s 5-year strategic plan, develop, execute and evaluate an annual communications plan to reach target audiences.
- Build and monitor an annual budget to support communications strategies.
- Preserve and promote the consistent use of GVLT brand through all communications.
Content Creation and Distribution (80%):
- Maintain content calendar to ensure a regular cadence of stories throughout all of GVLT’s communications channels.
- Work closely with lands and trails teams to share updates and news about projects.
- Collaborate with development team on digital fundraising appeals and event promotion.
- Partner with NextGen Advisory Board to promote events for young professionals.
- Share and uplift messages from community partners.
- Lead all social media strategy and content development.
- Manage and update GVLT website.
- Write and distribute press releases and manage relationships with local media.
- Lead creative design process for promotional materials, Annual Report, appeals, publications, advertisements, and social media.
- Cultivate an ever-growing library of video, photo and other visual assets.
- Compile and write monthly articles for GVLT website and email newsletter.
Additional Duties (5%):
- Attend staff, team, committee, and board meetings as well as organizational trainings.
- Attend GVLT fundraising events.
- Represent GVLT at community gatherings and other outreach opportunities.
- Office and administrative tasks as necessary.
- At least three years of experience working in communications, preferably at a nonprofit.
- Education and/ or experience communicating conservation or recreation topics.
Skills and Knowledge
- Formal and conversational writing with attention to detail and grammar.
- Comfort with learning new technology including emerging tools and platforms.
- Willing to take initiative and problem solve independently.
- Collaborative spirit while working within teams and across teams of the organization.
- Demonstrated commitment to GVLT’s mission.
- Experience with social media platforms, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva and WordPress preferred
- High levels of discretion and sensitivity to the nuances and confidential nature of private land transactions and landowners.
- Ability to communicate complex conservation and recreation topics to the general public in a balanced and clear way.
- 2 weeks paid vacation increased to 3 weeks after one year of employment. Employees gradually increase to 5 weeks of paid vacation after 5 years of employment.
- 10 days of paid personal leave, 10 paid holidays and 2 Outdoor Days
- Eligible for a 2-month paid sabbatical after 5 years.
- 100% coverage for employee’s Health, Vision and Dental Insurance premiums; 50% coverage for dependents and monthly HSA contributions.
- 100% coverage of Long-Term Disability Insurance, Basic Term Life and AD&D Insurance.
- Matching retirement contributions up to 3%.
- 2-months paid family leave after two years of employment.
- Flexible and family-oriented schedule.
- Investment in professional development.
Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest in the position with resume, a relevant writing sample and three professional references to: Elin Hert, email@example.com. The writing sample should showcase the applicant’s experience writing about a relevant topic for a communications channel. This position will remain open until filled. Applications will be reviewed starting June 30, 2023. GVLT is an equal opportunity employer and values candidates who bring diverse perspectives to our work.