Giving your time is one of the easiest ways you can help trails and conservation in Southwest Montana. Whether you have an hour or a few, you can make an impact. We have a number of ways you can give your time such as trail maintenance or becoming a trail ambassador. We also seek volunteers to help in our office and at special events.
Types of Projects
We offer a number of different opportunities and commitment levels for our volunteers. Below are the main areas where we seek volunteers.
1. Community Work Days
If you want to help but don’t have the time to commit on a regular basis, please join us for our community trail maintenance projects. We need your help to make sure the trails stay in excellent condition. RSVP is requested for each volunteer event.
Upcoming Trail Work Days
Due to COVID-19, Trail Work Days have been cancelled for 2020. We are still working with small groups through businesses and organizations (see below).
Trail Work Opportunities outside GVlt
Sacajawea Audubon is hosting several volunteer events throughout August 2020 to knock out Burdock, an invasive weed, on our local trails.
- Saturday, August 8 Drinking Horse Mountain Trailhead (Round One!)
- Wednesday, August 12 Indreland Audubon Wetland Preserve. Please park at Café M or Town Pump and walk in
- Saturday, August 15 Drinking Horse Mountain Trailhead (Round Two!)
- Wednesday, August 19 Gallagator Trail (Upper ) Meet on Garfield Street where it intersects Gallagator Trail
- Saturday, August 22 Gallagator Trail (Lower) Meet at the south end of the Library parking lot
We will meet each morning at 7:30 am. Bring pruning clippers if you have them and wear gloves, long sleeves and long pants of fabrics that burs won’t adhere to. Bring water to keep yourself hydrated and a mask in case you need to work in close proximity with others. Plan to work for an hour or two, but whatever time you can afford will make a difference. Call Paulette Epple at 580-6186 for more information.
2. Organize a Group
GVLT relies on volunteer groups from businesses, organizations, or clubs to help keep our trails in tip top shape. Trail maintenance is typically seasonal so we schedule group trail projects in May through October. Typical projects include things like gravel resurfacing, weed management, and brush trimming. Volunteering together can be great team building for your organization!
3. Project Matching
Volunteers can help GVLT in so many different ways. Whether a short term project, a special skill set, or a regular commitment, you can make a difference. However, as a small organization our volunteer needs are not constant and consistent. Because of this we use a matching system to place volunteers with projects, programs, and needs within our organization throughout the year. Please fill out the application so we know more about your availability, interests, and skills. If we do not have a need for your volunteer time immediately, we will keep your information on hand and reach out when something comes up.
Examples of types of volunteer needs:
- Trail Ambassadors
- Guided walk leaders and sweepers
- Event support
- Office work
- Grants research
- Database support
Simple Things Anyone Can Do To Support GVLT
- Pick up trash on the trail
- Scoop dog poop at your favorite park
- Notify GVLT of trail maintenance needs
- Advocate for GVLT’s work to your friends and family
- Encourage your business to support GVLT
- Share a testimonial about your love of trails and conservation with us, we want to hear it!
- Smile on the trails, spread kindness!
- Use #outsideisin and #gvlt in social media posts to share the message and show up on our website.
Communications and Outreach Manager